WD MyCloud Ex, Armada-370, pxa3xx-nand, marvell-nfc

Miquel Raynal miquel.raynal at bootlin.com
Tue Dec 15 11:46:21 EST 2020

Hi David,

David Schaefer <david.tillmann.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote on Tue, 15 Dec
2020 17:34:45 +0100:

> Hi Miquel,
> Am Di., 15. Dez. 2020 um 16:56 Uhr schrieb Miquel Raynal
> <miquel.raynal at bootlin.com>:
> > > Well, I now was brave enough to try to write to the block devices with
> > > the last kernel and it failed, io error.
> >
> > I saw successful logs in your previous e-mail. Was I misunderstanding
> > something?
> >
> > Also there is absolutely nothing we can do without the logs (including
> > boot).
>
> In my last mail I sent 8 non-complete bootlogs from the region that
> might be important as
> I understand it. Starting with the second commit the system boots up
> and the devices
> appear but I have several different issues like
> - marvell-nfc f10d0000.nand: Timeout waiting for RB signal

This one is a real error but got fixed by another commit.

> - armada-370-pinctrl f1018000.pin-ctrl: unsupported function gpio on pin mpp54
> pinctrl core: failed to register map default (0): invalid type given
> reg-fixed-voltage: probe of regulators:regulator at 2 failed with error -22
> - hctosys: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)

These are completely unrelated.

> - print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock6, sector 0
> print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock6, sector 0
> print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock6, sector 0
> print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock5, sector 0
> print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock5, sector 0
> print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock5, sector 0
> print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock4, sector 0
> print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock4, sector 0
> print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock4, sector 0
> print_req_error: I/O error, dev mtdblock3, sector 0

This one seem related but I don't know from where it comes.

> and dd reports
>
> dd: writing '/dev/mtdblock1': Input/output error

Maybe I should ask you why you are using mtdblock and using dd on top
of it? If you want to tackle a NAND issue, you should probably  address
the mtd device directly and use the tools provided by the mtd-utils
userspace test suite (nandpagetest seems a good fit).

Be careful these are destructive tests. Anyway you perhaps already lost
the content of your device (at least you lost the BBT).

> I am not sure which of these messages above are due to the driver
> issue. Also I would
> like to be clear that eventually I would like to run a recent kernel,

You might want to try a much more recent kernel then. Probably that
using a 5.9 or 5.10 is a good target for now.

> I am running 4.16 only
> for debugging the driver issue.
>
> I have attached a complete bootlog for the kernel I obtained by
> cherry-picking all the
> commits (and solving conflicts with -X theirs) on the v4.16 tag.

I really don't think using -X theirs blindly is wise, you should
definitely try to understand the conflict and merge it by hand.

> Please advice me if I did
> anything wrong or you need any more information.

Good luck :)

Thanks,
Miquèl