Enable notifications for linux-mtd

Brian Norris computersforpeace at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 22:10:16 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 09:29:35AM +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> Hi Boris,
>
> > Is there a way to send notifications to the submitter/author when the
> > status of a linux-mtd patch is changed?
>
> Absolutely - that's just something I can turn on in your project's
> config. I assume your co-maintainers are OK with this?

What does "notification to submitter/author" mean? Only to the person
who sent the patch? Or to everyone CC'd (including the mailing list)? If
it's not the latter, then I hope no maintainer starts relying on that.
It really obscures the process if authors are getting private
notifications, and nobody ever responds publicly to say things have been
applied.

> > Not sure we'll need a notification for any kind of change, but having
> > one when the patch is marked as Accepted would be good.
>
> Currently, the notifications are for all state changes (there's no
> config to do it selectively). Will this be a problem?

In general, mailing lists get a lot of inapplicable junk. Cross-posts,
at least (e.g., device tree source changes, documentation, and driver
patches in a single series -- we might only care about the latter 2).
Does that mean we notify submitters when things move to "Not
Applicable"? What about "Archived"? There's still non-archived stuff on
the tracker that's >3 years old. I guess spamming people isn't the end
of the world...

Brian