Filesystems over UBI can't handle badblocks

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 00:24:53 PST 2016

On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 22:10 +0100, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.c
> om> wrote:
> >
> > Now, how to do it via UBI? I think this is not supported, but it
> > can be
> > implemented, I believe.
> Implementing this is rather easy.

I agree.

>  But what exactly is the use case?

I guess the reporter would come up with a good justification.

I can imagine one, but it is not very strong: you have a development
device, you mess with bad blocks by marking/unmarking them for some
research reasons. You put UBI image there, then remember that some of
the blocks were bad and want to mark them as bad without re-flashing
UBI. Kind of a developer convenience.