NAND Bad Block Marking Policy

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Sun Feb 21 23:30:07 PST 2016

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016, Guilherme de Oliveira Costa wrote:

> This started due to some weird problems we had that out of
> nowhere our rootfs stopped booting, among other things.
> We are using a cramfs image as our rootfs, but I've found
> some ancient threads stating that cramfs is not recommended
> for NAND memories.
>
> Does this still hold true?

The problem with cramfs is that it can only work if there is a continguous
block of flash memory for it to reside in. This means that it cannot
reside in a partition if there are bad blocks present, which is why it is
not recommended for NAND flash. Apart from that (severe) constraint, it
wouldn't be a problem.

/Ricard