Pass -EUCLEN to userspace?

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Mon Apr 25 02:26:16 PDT 2016

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 11:14:16 +0200
Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:40:41AM +0200, Boris Brezillon wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 10:22:11 +0200
> > Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> > > I can do the ECC calculation for the FBCs in userspace, that's no
> > > problem. I was referring to:

> > > When a block contains both FCB and data protected with regular ECC in
> > > other pages, an algorithm retrieving the maximum number of bitlfips for
> > > a given block might stumble over the bad data in the page containing the
> > > FCB. So I think we need the maximum number of bitflips per page, not per
> > > block.
> >
> > Oh, so you mix 2 different page layout in the same partition (we
> > try to avoid that, even if this means loosing some space) :-/.
>
> I wasn't really aware of this.

By "we" I meant on the sunxi platform. This kind of thing has never been
documented, so you're currently not infringing any rule, I just find it
easier when everything is well separated...

> The way we have it now allows us to
> create a single partition containing the bootloader. Splitting this up
> into multiple partitions wouldn't be as flexible.
>

> > Regarding the maximum number of bitflips per chunk, maybe we can make it
> > part of the ioctl request instead of saving the statistics at the MTD
> > level.
> >
> > How about creating a new ioctl taking a pointer to this struct as a
> > parameter:
> >
> > struct mtd_extended_read_ops {
> > 	/* Existing params */
> > 	unsigned int mode;
> > 	size_t len;
> > 	size_t retlen;
> > 	size_t ooblen;
> > 	size_t oobretlen;
> > 	uint32_t ooboffs;
> > 	void *datbuf;
> > 	void *oobbuf;
> >
> > 	/*
> > 	 * Param containing the maximum number of bitflips for this
> > 	 * read request.
> > 	 */
> > 	unsigned int max_bitflips;
> > };
>
> Not sure how this ioctl exactly should look like, but this would solve
> the problem.

Let me design a quick prototype, I'll let you follow up with the patch
submission process...

> This also solves another problem. Right now calling the ECCGETSTATS
> ioctl before and after the read operation assumes that there are no
> concurrent readers on the mtd device.

That's true.

--
Boris Brezillon, Free Electrons