Pass -EUCLEN to userspace?

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Mon Apr 25 02:14:16 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:40:41AM +0200, Boris Brezillon wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 10:22:11 +0200
> Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 09:50:34AM +0200, Boris Brezillon wrote:

> > > Okay, pretty much the same use-case we have on sunxi platforms: the SPL
> > > partition is written in raw mode because the page layout (in-band/ECC
> > > data disposition) is not the one we're using for the rest of the NAND.
> > > For this specific partition, I see 2 solutions that you can implement
> > > in userspace to count the number of bitflips:
> > >
> > > 1/ read the partition page by page in raw mode and compare each
> > >    page to a reference file. This implies having a reference file stored
> > >    on your FS.
> > > 2/ if you know the ECC algorithm (and the platform specific config,
> > >    like the polynomial for a BCH engine) then you can create a tool
> > >    doing the ECC error detection in userspace.
> >
> > I can do the ECC calculation for the FBCs in userspace, that's no
> > problem. I was referring to:
> >
> > > Fair enough. So all we'll need is a way to retrieve the maximum number
> > > of bitflips for a given block
> >
> > When a block contains both FCB and data protected with regular ECC in
> > other pages, an algorithm retrieving the maximum number of bitlfips for
> > a given block might stumble over the bad data in the page containing the
> > FCB. So I think we need the maximum number of bitflips per page, not per
> > block.
>
> Oh, so you mix 2 different page layout in the same partition (we
> try to avoid that, even if this means loosing some space) :-/.

I wasn't really aware of this. The way we have it now allows us to
create a single partition containing the bootloader. Splitting this up
into multiple partitions wouldn't be as flexible.

> Regarding the maximum number of bitflips per chunk, maybe we can make it
> part of the ioctl request instead of saving the statistics at the MTD
> level.
>
> How about creating a new ioctl taking a pointer to this struct as a
> parameter:
>
> struct mtd_extended_read_ops {
> 	/* Existing params */
> 	unsigned int mode;
> 	size_t len;
> 	size_t retlen;
> 	size_t ooblen;
> 	size_t oobretlen;
> 	uint32_t ooboffs;
> 	void *datbuf;
> 	void *oobbuf;
>
> 	/*
> 	 * Param containing the maximum number of bitflips for this
> 	 * read request.
> 	 */
> 	unsigned int max_bitflips;
> };

Not sure how this ioctl exactly should look like, but this would solve
the problem.

This also solves another problem. Right now calling the ECCGETSTATS
ioctl before and after the read operation assumes that there are no
concurrent readers on the mtd device.

Sascha