Need Help in Testing FTL code using NAND simulator

Brajesh Sharma s.brajesh at mobiveil.com
Thu Apr 17 07:08:34 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I’ve started recently working on FTL thing and now I need some kind of
help from all of you as I’ve seen similar kind of thread just now.
I'm having a Huge FTL code (block + character) driver which is a linux
kernel module and is having a specific PCIe based hardware. But i don
have that H/W so I'll be porting this code for generic Flash device but
i'm not sure how to test the code in absence pf H/W. I'm removing the
character driver complications and wanna use just block driver which
offers management module implementations (bad block , GC, Address
mapping etc).
I've come across NANDsim which i find can be really useful in my case to
emulate the virtual flash device in host memory (RAM) . But NANDsim is a
part of MTD subsystem and My code doesn't have anything to do with MTD.
SO i'm not sure can i use it with my code. I've seen usage of NANDsim on
web with mtdblock device & on top of it an NFTL or something else though
i'm having my own block device driver with FTL implementation in it.

e.g. NFTL/UBIFS --> mtdblock/mtdchar --> Virtual Flash (RAM) using
NANDsim ....

But for me it'll be like (FTL+block driver) --> Character driver -->
Virtual Flash (NANDsim)... or do i have any other alternative ????

Any help would be appreciated.

-- Thanks & Regards
Brajesh Sharma