JFFS2 Garbage collection issue

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Thu Nov 28 01:33:19 EST 2013

Albrecht Dreß <albrecht.dress at arcor.de> wrote on 2013/11/27 20:34:06:

> Hi Jocke:
>
> Am 27.11.13 11:30 schrieb(en) Joakim Tjernlund:
> > BTW, I guess you got logging to file such as syslog on your system?
JFFS2 really don't do well with small incremental writes. I recommend you
turn such logging off.

> Does the delay by the gc process happen only when the jffs2 fs is
mounted, or also during the normal operation when many updates occur?

Only at mount AFAIK. During initial scanning lots of GC can be triggered
but during normal
operation not so much. The GC algo. is a bit naive and you have to help it
if you got
lots of small writes. By sending the correct signal to the GC thread you
trigger one GC.

> Background: I had a similar issue as Harald with a NVRAM which is used
to hold quickly changing event buffers and logs.  My solution was to wait
for the gc process during the startup of the system, before the "main"
application is launched.  However, if this could also happen *after* the
initial scan has finished, this would be bad news for me, as I then
probably would need the SIG(STOP|CONT) approach...

> Thanks,
> Albrecht.[attachment "attq2f2p.dat" deleted by Joakim
Tjernlund/Transmode]