JFFS2 Garbage collection issue

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Wed Nov 27 14:34:06 EST 2013

Hi Jocke:

Am 27.11.13 11:30 schrieb(en) Joakim Tjernlund:
> BTW, I guess you got logging to file such as syslog on your system? JFFS2 really don't do well with small incremental writes. I recommend you turn such logging off.

Does the delay by the gc process happen only when the jffs2 fs is mounted, or also during the normal operation when many updates occur?

Background: I had a similar issue as Harald with a NVRAM which is used to hold quickly changing event buffers and logs.  My solution was to wait for the gc process during the startup of the system, before the "main" application is launched.  However, if this could also happen *after* the initial scan has finished, this would be bad news for me, as I then probably would need the SIG(STOP|CONT) approach...

Thanks,
Albrecht.