UBIFS: power cut test on 2.6.35 + NOR

Norbert van Bolhuis nvbolhuis at aimvalley.nl
Thu Jun 27 05:32:02 EDT 2013

On 06/27/13 08:44, enrico benetti wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'd need a hint on the best way to go on with my development.
>
> I'm working on a custom target based on 2.6.35.3 kernel with NOR device.
>
> UBIFS R/W partitions seem not robust against power cut tests: I'm using
> integck 1.4.9 and I can have unrecoverable errors on tested volume when
> performing real power cuts.
>
> First of all, I've done several MTD stress tests to validate the low
> level driver.
> I've checked git repos, and
> http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/ubifs-v2.6.35.git/ <http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/ubifs-v2.6.35.git/shortlog>
> is updated to 08/2012 (that is approx 3.7.1 kernel revision) and no more
> supported.
>
>  From several discussions on the list I think the best way to solve (or
> at least to have a better behaviour with ubi/ubifs) could be to get the
> patches from this repo and merge them with my sources.
>
> Do you agree or is it better to do more investigation on current issues?
>
> Thanks in advance for your support,
> Enrico

yes, use http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/ubifs-v2.6.35.git to update.

it has several "NOR power cut" fixes, for example:

http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/ubifs-v2.6.35.git/commit/152780c61d65b0cc5cd5cc974e926a9c47534d5e
http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/ubifs-v2.6.35.git/commit/9258edaca1d7b36abd0e23661579c35fe9c4f00f
http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/ubifs-v2.6.35.git/commit/e5d7669e2fa0797c0c110fa9bf3e51b013ba399b

which I doubt are in 2.6.35.3

Btw. we used the (no longer available) http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/ubifs-v2.6.29.git
(that has been kept up-to-date with mainline till June 2011) to update our sources, and we see
no NOR power cut issues.

---
N. van Bolhuis.