PMECC capability

Josh Wu josh.wu at atmel.com
Fri Apr 26 07:01:58 EDT 2013

Hi, Richard

On 4/26/2013 6:17 PM, Richard Genoud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a (dumb?) question about the error correct capability of atmel PMECC:
> Do we have to use the exact error capability required by the nand
> chipset or we can use a bigger one ?

I think it is a very good question and I don't have answer yet.
And it bring up another question: Can the nand flash will got much error
bits than the ONFI minimum require?
Or the filesystem will make sure this situation rarely happen?

> use case:
> I'm working on at91sam9g35-cm board which require 1 bit per 512bytes
> correction and also on a at91sam9g35-cm+phy which require 4bits per
> 512bytes correction.
>
> If I use for both a 4b/512B correction, this won't hurt ?
> There won't be any strange side effect ?

I think it will not hurt. And since PMECC is hardware calculation,
performance should have no big impaction (I am not test that)

> Moreover, as I don't use the OOB data, I could set a 8b/512B correction.
> Will it be completely useless ?

I've seen one of mtd/nand driver (I don't remember the exact name), the
ECC capability is set as the max one base on the OOB valid size (exclude
the some used by filesystem).

Just in the moment, I think use the max error correct capability base on
valid OOB is safer for long time using.

Best Regards,
Josh Wu