Problem with verify-ing patch (error: arch/m68k/Kconfig.cpu: patch does not apply)

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 08:06:25 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-25 at 11:33 +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> 2012/9/24 Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 13:14 +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> >> I wanted to verify my patch before sending it.
> >>
> >> TRY[0]:
> >> error: patch failed: arch/m68k/Kconfig.cpu:28
> >> error: arch/m68k/Kconfig.cpu: patch does not apply
> >>
> >> Weird. My patch doesn't touch m68k and applies cleanly to the
> >> ../wireless-testing tree:

> >> Applying: mtd: prepare place for BCMA NAND flash driver(s)
> >>
> >> Help? :|
> >
> > It tries to apply quick fixes - I carry them because the kernel gets
> > broken in various places all the time. So you need to fix the quick
> > fixes patch - probably a fix was applied in upstream already.
> >
> > Obviously, quick fixes are in maintaining.git, not in the generic aiaiai
> > tools. They are in 'quick_fixes.mbox'.
> >
> > In this case it easy - the m68k patch get merged upstream and just can
> > be dropped from quick_fixes.mbox. Just done that and pushed out.
>
> Thanks. Unfortunately I'm still having problems with verify/aiaiai :|
>
> After your change I started verify again and it took 3 minutes to let
> me know it needs mips-linux-gcc. I had to install it (OpenWRT is using
> it's own toolchain).
>
> Then I started again and after 3 minutes: lacking sparse
>
> 3 minutes later: lacking smatch
>
> 3 minutes later: lacking cppcheck
>
> 3 minutes later: lacking spatch
>
> I'm not sure what's going to be next. I'm sure that things are obvious
> for you, but beginner can really get irritated before he manages to
> setup everything... ;/

Rafal, your complaints are fair, thanks. This needs some more work. I'll
add checks for all the required tools in the scripts so that they will
fail right away with a user-friendly messages.

But one thing is obvious for me - you did not read the docs in aiaiai
projects. Well, fair enough, typical users do not read docs :-) The docs
tell where to get tools, how to compile, etc. I think they also tell
where to download pre-build compilers even, but I should check this
part :-)

I'll do the fixes as soon as I have some time, please, keep bugging me
and thanks for your feed-back!

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy