Frequent Writes to NAND flash with UBIFS in sychronous mode

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Nov 9 07:11:24 EST 2012

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Tech tech wrote:

> Ok. Got it. W.r.t erroneous identification of bit flips within
> hardware/software, we verified that the ECC algorithm doesn't report bit
> flips before writes. Though there were a few ECC errors reported by
> hardware, that could be corrected the the ECC correction algorithm. Is
> this what you meant?   -Joe

What I meant was that UBI upon detecting that ECC corrections have been
applied will schedule the relevant blocks for rewrite, to avoid further
bit flips causing the data to become unreadable. Such detection is
performed when reading, hence reading data where bit flips have been
detected (even if they have been corrected by the ECC algorithm) can
result in writes, even if they don't necessarily occur immediately after
the read which scheduled them.

How many are 'a few ECC errors', and over how long a time from where the
detected?

/Ricard