What would cause large block of NAND to be marked as bad?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 14:56:49 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 11:05 -0700, Subodh Nijsure wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with some prototype hardware and I have seen some weird
> behaviour when testing power cut.
>
> On my board I have Micron MT29F2G08ABAEAH4 part and now have three
> boards on which close to 20-30 blocks have been marked as bad.
>
> We mainly run UBIFS on these boards, if there was flash data corruption
> we expected to see errors at UBIFS level i.e. not able to mount UBIFS
> file system but we didn't expect NAND blocks themselves to be marked as
> bad, due to power cut.
>
> What would cause large number of NAND blocks to be marked as bad, due to
> power cut?

Did you look at Mike Dunn's bitflip_threshold stuff? It is in my
l2-mtd.git tree. Look at this patch and the next ones from Mike:

http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/l2-mtd.git/commit/be1bb4ef1f98059f9d54623f3ed01423095fa967

Commit messages contain descriptions and references. May be for your
flash you need to set higher threshold?

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy