What would cause large block of NAND to be marked as bad?

Subodh Nijsure snijsure at grid-net.com
Mon May 7 14:05:31 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am working with some prototype hardware and I have seen some weird
behaviour when testing power cut.

On my board I have Micron MT29F2G08ABAEAH4 part and now have three
boards on which close to 20-30 blocks have been marked as bad.

We mainly run UBIFS on these boards, if there was flash data corruption
we expected to see errors at UBIFS level i.e. not able to mount UBIFS
file system but we didn't expect NAND blocks themselves to be marked as
bad, due to power cut.

What would cause large number of NAND blocks to be marked as bad, due to
power cut?

-Subodh