Question about mkfs.jffs2 "-s" option

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Thu May 3 03:35:14 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2 May 2012, Grant Edwards wrote:

> The NAND flash I'm using has to be written in 4K blocks -- isn't that
> the "page size"?

The smallest writable unit in a NAND flash is called a 'page', but AFAIK
this is not what the -s option in mkfs.jffs2 is for. Instead, it is
related for the kernel memory managament page size, which is 4k for most
architectures. I think the jffs2 driver determines the smallest writable
unit runtime; it is not a parameter during the file system creation.
However the erase block size must be specified to mkfs.jffs2 as it affects
the structure of the file system image.

/Ricard