mtd nand erase and bad block

Angus CLARK angus.clark at st.com
Mon Jun 18 05:34:02 EDT 2012

Hi Artem,

On 06/05/2012 01:17 PM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 17:54 +0300, Shmulik Ladkani wrote:
>>
>> My personal preference would be:
>> 1. A new ioctl (MEMSCRUB?)
>> 2. debugfs flag, PER MTD PART (slightly safer than your global flag)
>> 3. global debugfs flag
>>
> Yes, I guess option 1 is the best I think. Option 2 needs too much work.

Are you ok with the name MEMSCRUB?  I know previously you have objected to this
name, since it might get confused with UBI scrubbing
(http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2010-September/032031.html).  In
fact, the conclusion of that thread was to add an extended erase IOCTL, with a
'flags' parameter to capture options such as erase bad blocks.  Would this be
the preferred method (it didn't seem to go anywhere last time), or is 'MEMSCRUB'
with the existing erase_info_user64 structure acceptable?

Cheers,

Angus