linux equivalent of u-boot's "nand scrub" (erasing blocks even when OOB says "bad")

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 02:32:17 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 19:53 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> the logical thing in my mind would be to extend the userspace mtd abi
> to allow a "do the erase even if people think it's bad" option.
> perhaps MEMSCRUB ?

If you do this, please do not use this name. In UBI we already use term
'scrubbing' for the process when we move contents of eraseblock because
we have bit-flips.

It will be confusing if the same word is used in MTD for "unmarking"
eraseblocks. How about: 'force erase' or 'bad erase' ?

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)