UBIFS mount error: No space left on device

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 07:48:14 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 14:34 +0200, Matteo Mattei wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> After about 2 weeks with continuous read/write stress operation (w/o
> powercycles) I moved a board to the power-cycles reliability lab to
> perform also some other tests.
> After a while I had an error during mounting the filesystem.
>
> After a further analysis seems that there is not enough space to mount
> the device (I don't know who is the responsible for this because there
> is a quite big empty space in the device).

Yeah, I fixed several issues with this symptom in the past, probably not
all of them.

> Can you clarify why this strange behavior happened?

Probably a bug.

> Maybe there is not enough space in the journal?!

May be. I'd need your image to take a look - did you save it?

> Is there a way to avoid this or a workaround to let me to recover the board?

Well, you can re-size the UBI volume a bit and add a couple more LEBs to
work this around.

> I have also one other question but not strictly related to this issue
> (maybe there are already some other threads on this, but I didn't find
> the answer): Do the UBI and UBIFS handle the erased space?
> If so, how do they handle it?

I do not understand the question.

--
Best Regards,