Alternative License for Parts of MTD?

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Mon Apr 16 09:32:10 EDT 2012

Artem, et al.:

> Irrespectively of what random people in the mailing list think, this is
> a question to layers. And I guess you'd need to have permission of all
> copyright holders, which I guess all people who contributed, and this is
> practically impossible to do. But I do not know for sure whether this is
> correct or not :-)

  Yes, the current opinion seems to be that to change
  the licensing terms for a given module from restrictive
  terms (such as (L)GPL) to less-restrictive terms, one
  needs the assent of anyone who ever contributed to that
  module. That's why conversion to a more-restrictive
  license such as (l)GPL tends to be a "sticky" (one-way)
  conversion.

  The best alternative is to re-write the functionality
  in a "clean room" environment and then release it
  under your choice of license terms. One can certainly
  emulate the design of the existing code without
  violating any copyright. Patents are, of course,
  another (and separate) issue; the existing design
  may incorporate patented methods which one can't
  necessarily emulate freely.

                            Atlant
                        (IANAL, etc.)