Unstable bits and JFFS2

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Fri Apr 13 12:40:30 EDT 2012

Artem:

> Yeah, thanks for correcting. Yeah, read/write-disturb may make bits
> to become unstable, but we assume this is a slow process which will
> gradually make more and more bits flip and ECC will take care of
> that. So I think Matej can exclude this.

  Unfortunately, ECC can only fix those PEBs that
  are actually read. If one of the PEBs in your
  filesystem is being used entirely to contain
  obscure data that only gets read once in a
  blue moon (i.e., very rarely), then multiple
  read-/write-disturbs can hit accumulate in
  that PEB and when it is finally read, it may
  already contains too many errors to be
  corrected by the ECC.

  We've seen this exact scenario occur with the
  current UBI/UBIfs and will be implementing a
  userland "scrubbing" system to ensure that
  every PEB gets read at least once in a while
  (e.g., weekly or whatever interval seems right).

                              Atlant