nand_base.c:nand_get_flash_type() test results

Angus CLARK angus.clark at st.com
Tue Oct 18 03:58:14 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

On 10/16/2011 03:33 PM, Mike Dunn wrote:

> I am currently grappling with this issue with my driver for the diskonchip G4,
> which is an MLC nand under the hood, but has a proprietary controller around it
> which doesn't interact as a "typical" NAND device.  Specific to this topic, it
> doesn't respond to NAND_READID commands.  My solution was to skip the call to
> nand_scan_ident(), which calls nand_get_flash_type().  Instead, I do all the
> initializations done by nand_get_flash_type() within my driver.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I am not familiar with the diskonchip technology but I had a quick look through
the patch you posted a few days ago.  What you have done regarding
nand_scan_ident() is probably the most sensible solution here - I believe it was
this kind of use-case that led to nand_scan() being split into nand_scan_ident()
and nand_scan_tail().

An alternative approach would be to fake support for NAND_CMD_READID, similar to
what you have done for NAND_CMD_STATUS, with subsequent calls to
chip->read_byte() returning the 'DOCG4_IDREG' sequence {0x04, 0x00, 0xfb, 0xff}.
 In the same way ONFI devices are handled, you could then add a special case in
nand_get_flash_type(), say nand_flash_detect_docg4(), jumping to 'ident_done' if
successful.

To be honest, in this case, I don't think there is much to be gained by adding
'nand_flash_detect_docg4()' to the generic code.  It would just return some
hard-coded parameters to serve a single device and driver; you may as well put
them in the driver itself, as you have done.  On the other hand, if you extend
it to also handle the other diskonchip varients, that might be more interesting.

Cheers,

Angus