erase block < 8KiB

angelo angelo70 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 04:52:47 EDT 2011

Hi all,

i read several mail about this limitation.

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2011-February/033851.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2011-June/036498.html

I have a 4 KiB erase-size, common of some SST nor flash'es like mine
(SST 39VF3201B).

 From all the posts i read here in the list, there seems not to be any
solution guaranteed.

The tricky change to mkfs.jffs2 don't work for me. It seems to work for
small files, but i still get error messages copying a 600KB file in the
partition.
If it's true that the minimal jffs2 block is 4KB + some bytes, of course
the patch to mkfs.jffs2 can't work.

Some one suggested the "virtual erase block" solution. I would like to
try to implement it, if i have the time.

In any case, for the common users, is there maybe another flash file
system that can work with 4KiB erase size ?

Many thanks,
Regards

Angelo Dureghello