[RFC] Handling of errors for AMD NOR (cfi_cmdset_0002) chips

Ilya Yanok yanok at emcraft.com
Wed Mar 23 14:27:48 EDT 2011

Hello Markus,

Markus Niebel <list-09_linux_mtd <at> tqsc.de> writes:
> what type of chips are causing your problems?

As Detlev has already wrote they are 16-bit Spansion S29GL512P.

> AFAIK in cfi_cmdset_0002 the use of max timouts from cfi query struct is
> missing (support in the per chip struct is prepared). This should be
> done first (I think).

Hm, I have to admit I'm not really a flash expert. Could you please give me some
pointer?

> Regarding the handling of status bits you can use MERGESTATUS /
> cfi_merge_status (from linux/mtd/cfi.h)

Well, most of my code is actually stolen from cfi_merge_status implementation.
Still, I think it's incorrect to use MERGESTATUS directly: we need to filter
that have already finished (with no toggling bits), otherwise we can take the
data byte as a status.

> Would it be useful to send rough patches for 2.6.34 for the max timout?

Yes, please do post them. Any information would be useful.

Regards, Ilya.