NAND device: all blocks bad after restart, how to recover?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at
Thu Mar 10 08:06:18 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 08:39 -0800, Lars Michael wrote:
> Hello,
> I repost this issue, with correct subject and hope to have some
> feedback. After working with getting UBI images mounted in Linux (it did
> work for a sec!) the NAND device suddenly went totally bad after a system
> restart! So all blocks are reported bad and the mtd is no longer visible
> in Linux.

So do mtd tests work fine with your flash?

>  Before it had just a few bad blocks.

Do you have any old logs where you could find the bad block numbers?

> NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xca (Micron
> NAND 256MiB 3,3V 16-bit)
> Bad block table not found for chip 0
> Bad block table not found for chip 0
> Scanning device for bad blocks
> Bad eraseblock 0 at 0x000000000000
> Bad eraseblock 1 at 0x000000020000
> Bad eraseblock 2 at 0x000000040000
> Bad eraseblock 3 at 0x000000060000
> Bad eraseblock 4 at 0x000000080000
> Bad eraseblock 5 at 0x0000000a0000
> Bad eraseblock 6 at 0x0000000c0000
> <cut>
> Bad eraseblock 2046 at 0x00000ffc0000
> Bad eraseblock 2047 at 0x00000ffe0000
> No space left to write bad block table
> fsl_nfc: NAND Flash not found !
> m25p80 spi1.1: at26df081a (1024 Kbytes)
> Creating 1 MTD partitions on "Atmel at26df081a SPI Flash
> chip":
> 0x000000000000-0x000000100000 : "at26df081a"

Do you have any logs when this thing happened?

> Assuming this is a software issue, can the bbt somehow be corrupt,
> reporting all blocks bad even if they are not?

I do not know.

> Is the problem likely to be in the UBI layer or in the NAND driver
> (I suspect the first) and how can I troubleshoot this?

I might be broken driver which reports write errors, and then UBI marks
all blocks bad. We might probably need some limit in UBI to prevent
situations like this.

Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)