ubi image only mounts once

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:08:03 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 11:53 -0400, Douglass, Woody wrote:
> Matt,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried both ubiformat (passing -f with
> my image) and nandwrite, both seem to behave the same way. The
> filesystem mounts once, but when I reboot, it doesn't ever mount again.
>
> I cannot upgrade my kernel as my development schedule is too aggressive;
> I don't have time. I'm using 2.6.32 for now; if I fail at getting UBI to
> work, I can fall back on jffs2, which works, but I prefer UBIFS.
>
> Note that I did successfully load a ubi image with this kernel In the
> past with a filesystem image generated from OpenEmbedded. Could my
> mkfs.ubifs/ubinize be the issue?

I am sure the problem is your OMAP flash driver - it does not support
sub-pages correctly. There were several discussions. I have not idea
what is your kernel and which hacks it has.

Anyway, first try to check if I was right - run the mtd_subpagetest
test: http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/general.html#L_mtd_tests

My prediction - it will fail. Let's check this.

If I'm right - you have 2 choices:

1. Fix the driver.
2. Do not use sub-pages (means you'll waste a bit more flash space).

For the latter - assume your sub-page size = page size = 2048 bytes, and
adjust your mkfs.ubifs/ubinise/ubisformat parameters accordingly. Feel
free to ask for more help - I do not want to write much now before you
have verified my theory.

Also, running all mtd tests is a good idea.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)