Testing a device using mtd_stresstest

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:16:02 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 14:25 +0000, David Peverley wrote:
> Sometimes... When they are I've manually marked blocks as bad and
> re-started the test run :-D I had wondered about whether it was blocks
> naturally failing with use, but some of these blocks haven't been (Ok,
> SHOULDNT have been!) erased anywhere near 100,000 times so I'm
> suspicious about this. When I looked into it I noted that the
> mtd_stresstest.ko doesn't mark blocks as bad ever so this is
> potentially something that would occur.

Yeah, I think the tests should not do this, they should just test and
report you issues.

>  However, nandtest.c in
> mtd-utils I notice *does* support marking of bad blocks during
> testing. Should I consider using this instead? I'm not sure what the
> relationship between these test tools is...?

These are tools wirtten by different people at different times. Kernel
MTD tests were written by Nokia guys and I think the tests are more or
less consistent in how they behave.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)