Testing a device using mtd_stresstest

David Peverley pev at sketchymonkey.com
Fri Feb 11 09:25:07 EST 2011

Hi Karl,

Sometimes... When they are I've manually marked blocks as bad and
re-started the test run :-D I had wondered about whether it was blocks
naturally failing with use, but some of these blocks haven't been (Ok,
SHOULDNT have been!) erased anywhere near 100,000 times so I'm
suspicious about this. When I looked into it I noted that the
mtd_stresstest.ko doesn't mark blocks as bad ever so this is
potentially something that would occur. However, nandtest.c in
mtd-utils I notice *does* support marking of bad blocks during
testing. Should I consider using this instead? I'm not sure what the
relationship between these test tools is...?

Cheers,

~Pev