How much RAM does JFFS2 use?

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Thu Apr 28 06:02:06 EDT 2011

Hi,

I've been running some tests with jffs2/mtd vs ubifs/UBI/mtd. One
surprising thing was that when the root file system is ubifs, located in
an UBI volume (although I don't think the latter makes a difference),
there is much more available RAM as seen by the (busybox) free command.

The root file system is about 26 MB in size (26 MB if ubifs, almost 28 NB
if jffs2), and contains the same files in both cases. The difference in
free RAM space is stunning, about 32 MB.

I know jffs2 builds tables in RAM when it scans the device upon mount, but
I wouldn't expect that much memory to be used.

Now, I'll probably find the culprit as soon as I send this off :-), but at
the moment of writing I can't think of any other difference between the
two setups. I'm using the same source tree to build the ubifs and jffs2
images, and the only difference in the kernel is the compiled-in kernel
command line specifying which partition to boot from.

/Ricard