NAND on MV78100

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Sep 23 15:07:47 EDT 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Nils Faerber wrote:

> Hi!
> I am currently working on board support for a Marvell MV78100 based
> board. The MV78100 uses the same Orion SOC components as e.g. the
> Kirkwood which is quite well supported from OpenRD and SheevaPlug.
>
> After some struggling I got the Orion NAND driver working, it detects
> the NAND chip properly (512MB) and assigns a partition. Everything seems
> OK so far.
>
> But when I read from the device, e.g. just by "cat /dev/mtdblock1 | wc
> -c" it starts to fail with "uncorrectable error" after exactly 1MB
> (1024*1024).

This is most likely due to a difference in the ECC model used.
The quick "fix" would be to reformat the NAND (at least from the offset
where it fails) using the Linux supported 1-bit ECC.

The Marvell LSPs (and most unfortunately the bootrom) are using a
4-bit software ECC implementation that is poorly optimized, and layered
backward.

Nicolas