[RFC] do_mounts: Allow mtd names for non-flash block filesystems

Karl Beldan karl.beldan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 07:16:26 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at sunsite.dk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  >> But how about teaching squashfs to understand mtdX and mtd:name syntax
>  >> instead?
>
>  Karl> I would not do that, squashfs and co just ask for a block device,
>  Karl> putting mtdx syntax awareness in each of them just does not seem
>  Karl> a good fit to me.
>
> FYI, patches for direct mtd access in squashfs (E.G. for systems not
> needing the block layer at all) were posted a while ago:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/962226/focus=968074

Hi,

This is interesting work, I saw some time ago that a french company,
Free Electrons, was offering an internship on this very subject.
If squashfs would undergo such changes it could use something like
get_sb_mtd() as jffs2 does and do_mount would require no change to
understand mtd:name, yet the naming scheme would remain not-generic
and the mtd naming scheme would remain in mtd/mtdsuper.

--
Karl