MTD Flash Partition: change possible?

Arno Steffen arno.steffen at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 23 06:23:58 EDT 2010

In my embedded system the Flash-partition table is compiled into kernel.
Is there a way to change partition table without booting a new kernel? How?

Background: I want to update an embedded system and change the size of
partitions. But tools as flash_eraseall and nandwrite use partitions
of the current kernel. If I want to change the size of the partitions,
this is impossible.
If I first flash a new kernel with new partition table, I have to
reboot and the system will not start, as the old partitioning scheme
is still active.