[Patch] Catch filesystems lacking s_bdi

Jens Axboe jens.axboe at oracle.com
Mon Apr 26 05:48:11 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23 2010, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Fri, 23 April 2010 12:05:32 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> >
> > So it's probably safe and good enough as-is, I'll add it. Thanks!
>
> I cannot see this patch in your tree yet.  Could be the weekend or a
> deliberate decision not to send this for 2.6.34-rc anymore.

It's there, I put it in yesterday. It's definitely 2.6.34-rc material, I
hope to submit it tonight.

> In case it was a deliberate decision, can we please make it explicit?  I
> don't like the idea of adding a BUG_ON() that potentially triggers for
> thousands of people this late in the stabilization process - but it is
> better than having people lose data.  Even if we already ran two stable
> kernels that way.
>
> Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :(

Yeah, it's a bad situation to be in. I changed that BUG_ON() to a
WARN_ON(). I'm not too worried about that part, I'm more worried about
the file system changed. OTOH, they do lack proper flushing now, so it's
likely not a huge risk from that perspective.

--
Jens Axboe