UBI - NAND Flash Programming

Musch, Edwin musche at dataio.com
Mon May 4 11:39:49 EDT 2009

Hello

I am from Data I/O. We produce mass production Flash programming equipment.
We received a request from Keymile/Germany to support the UBI.

As you will know we need to program the raw NAND Flash the same way than the application is handling the NAND Flash ( bad blocks )

Could you please give me further information regarding the Bad Block Handling? Since we are programming the NAND Flash only once we are not worried about wear levelling.

1) If we detect a bad block where should we move the Data
   a. SKIP: go on with the next good block - or
   b. Put the Data into a reserved area
      c. Please let me know where this area is defined
2) Do I need to update the Main area if I move a block? - Is there a header?
3) Could you explain the info within the spare area?
   a. Do I need to update anything if I move a block to different location?
   b. ECC - In case I need to update the main area - How is it done?
4) Are there any dynamic table somewhere that needs to be updated - Bad block table?

Thank you for your help - Let me know if you need further information to answer any of my questions.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Edwin Musch