UBIFS Corrupt during power failure

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Fri Jul 24 10:08:00 EDT 2009

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > According to a fellow electronician, Marc, offlist, it would not be safe
> > to force at 0 a bit already at 0 in flash.
> > For zeroing a byte, he recommends to write its complementary value (e.g.
> > if 0x85 is read then write 0x7A).
>
> I've seen flash where the data sheet mentions implicit erase for each
> byte write, so writing a complementary value there might not set all
> bits to 0. That might have been NOR flash, though.

Those little serial flashes where you can write bytes individually do
that, of course.

I thought it was a standard, well-known feature of NOR-type flashes
that you could overwrite bytes to zero more of the bits, but I've not
read a standard which says so.

> If you have a data sheet or similar publication where writing the
> complementary value is recommended or mentioned, I'd appreciate a
> pointer to it. It does sound logical, but sometimes hardware is a bit odd.

I haven't head of the complementary value thing before, but I agree it
sounds logical.

-- Jamie