New mtd-utils release?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:59:47 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 03:41:38PM +0100, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

>Hi,
>
> Josh> I've avoided doing a release because there isn't a really good
> Josh> way to correlate mtd-utils to kernel version.  I don't believe
> Josh> there have been any on-disk (Ha!) UBIFS format changes, and UBI
> Josh> itself hasn't had format changes for a long time, so it is
> Josh> probably safe to do that now.
>
>Well, you'll have those version issues anyway - With known-good git
>SHA1's or releases. Adding a release would just make more people use the
>same revision, instead of people using git head of whatever day they
>needed mtd-utils.

This is true.  I just feel better about saying 'use git head' or
'upgrade your kernel' than I do trying to come up with some kind of
mapping.

> Josh> (Also, I believe nandwrite is _STILL_ broken with the OOB stuff.)
>
>Ok, what is the issue? Anyone working on fixing it? Did it work back in
>1.2.0?

The MEMSETOOBSEL ioctl no longer exists in the kernel. It worked in 1.2.0
assuming you were using a sufficiently old enough kernel.  I can't recall
if anyone is working on fixing it or not, but Thomas has mentioned that
there is a patch floating around somewhere.

josh