New mtd-utils release?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 08:56:14 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 03:00:33PM +0200, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
>On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 20:14 +0800, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we're building mtd-utils with buildroot, and as we need a recent version
>> of it to get the ubi features, we currently check out a git snapshot as
>> tarball. Last week, for some reason the SHA1 ID we used (e783e75e0)
>> disappeared from the repository. (Just out of curiosity: what happened?
>> Was the tree rebased or filtered?).
>
>Dunno, but it must be me how made this crew-up, sorry. I cannot say
>exactly how it happened, but it was non-intentional. Probably pushed one
>patch version, then later amended it, and pushed it with --force. This
>should never be done, sorry.
>
>> However, this approach is somewhat hackish anyway, and we would much
>> more like to check out a version that is officially tagged.
>
>OK, I can tag them at the beginning of the next year. I'm having
>holydays in 10 min.
>
>>  Seeing the
>> last tag has been done ~17 month ago, I wonder whether there is any
>> change to get a new one soon?
>
>We usually use the master branch. And there is simply no one who cares
>about tags. But I can do this. You'll get a new tag when I come back
>from holydays, unless someone else tag it earlier.

I've avoided doing a release because there isn't a really good way to
correlate mtd-utils to kernel version.  I don't believe there have been
any on-disk (Ha!) UBIFS format changes, and UBI itself hasn't had format
changes for a long time, so it is probably safe to do that now.

Still, I would very much like to avoid having a compatiblity matrix like
the LTTng project does.

(Also, I believe nandwrite is _STILL_ broken with the OOB stuff.)

josh