What filesystem for NAND flash with OOB 218

Jeff Angielski jeff at theptrgroup.com
Mon Dec 7 22:40:32 EST 2009

Charles Manning wrote:
> On Monday 07 December 2009 16:19:56 Charles Manning wrote:
>> On Monday 07 December 2009 15:27:57 Jeff Angielski wrote:
>>> I was wondering what type of filesystem everybody is using for the newer
>>>   NAND flash with OOB>=128 bytes.  For me, this is the Micron
>>> MT29F8G08AAA which has an OOB=218.
>>>
>>> It seems that the JFFS2 tools are out of date and don't work with
>>> anything less than or equal to 64bytes of OOB.
>>>
>>> YAFFS2 does not compile in the latest kernel source trees (2.6.31 in the
>>> DENX linux-2.6-denx git tree).  Is this filesystem dead?
>> Far from it.
>> I'll take a look at why it does not compile.
>
> I just compiled yaffs2 in 2.6.29, 2.6.30, 2.6.31, 2.6.32 from kernel.org. No
> problems.
> I didn't try denx.
> I would suggest you'd get further trying to sort this out in the denx or yaffs
> lists.

It would appear that the yaffs2 code in DENX kernel is out of date.  I
had assumed that since it was in the git tree, it was being maintained
and ready for use.  Especially since they keep a close tie with the
kernel.org tree.

Once I wiped it out and patched it with the latest yaffs code from CVS
the fs/yaffs2 compiled.  The problem most likely comes from the fact
that yaffs2 is maintained outside the kernel and requires the patch-ker.sh.

--
Jeff Angielski
The PTR Group