goofy mtd m25p80 patches in GIT ...

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 20 04:24:38 EDT 2008

On Monday 20 October 2008, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I think the interface is fine -- if you ask it to erase the whole chip
> (start == 0, len == size), then it'll use a chip erase command if it has
> one, or fall back to erasing individual blocks.
>
> I think David just wanted a cleanup to the nomenclature -- renaming
> 'erase_block' to 'erase_chip', perhaps, and changing the #define for the
> command?

Exactly.  Since the existing erase block calls are not
doing whole-chip erasure ... and since chip-erase is
a *VERY* different operation.

The MTD interface just says "erase this stuff", and
that patch just added a special case "if <stuff> is
the whole chip, use this operation instead of the
existing iterate-over-blocks logic".

- Dave