MTD How-to?

Steve Hurst creepingmalaise at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 11:59:41 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm an MTD noob trying to gain read/write access to a chip that
appears to be supported in jedec_probe.c (49LF008A), using a mostly
unchanged debian 2.6.24 kernel.  I've enabled everything I think I
need to in the kernel, but can't seem to get things to recognize the
chip.

I've reviewed a couple of pretty old how-to's (2.2/2.4 days old), and
visited the available pages at
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/general.html, but can't find
anything modern that lays out the steps for getting a device up and
going.

Can anyone point me at relevant documentation or a how-to?

TIA!