MTD/flash perfomance statistics

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Mon Nov 17 18:42:22 EST 2008

Hi Artem,

Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind at infradead.org> wrote on 11/11/2008 09:38:09 PM:

> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 10:08 -0800, Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
> > We're using UBIFS/UBI/MTD/NAND and we want to find out how much of our

> > time is spent accessing the flash.  Are there any tools or is there
any
> > code in that chain that collects any sort of statistics on flash
> > performace/utilization?  I could do something as crude as a counter in
my
> > NAND driver, but if there's anything more sophisticated that I can
just
> > "use out of the box" so to speak that would be better.  Thanks.
>
> Not sure what exactly you need, but probably you want oprofile?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)

I finally got the app guys to pin down exactly what they want.  Here's a
copy of the email I got from them:

"They appear to be going the wrong way.  We're looking for runtime
diagnostic-y type of things (i.e. Number of writes to the flash, number of
bad blocks, statistics from the wear leveler to see how the wear leveling
is going, etc.)  Things that don't take a lot of CPU time to do, like
counters, that we can use to give us information on what a customer's box
may or may not be doing in the field.  A ready example that comes to mind
is ethernet statistics, bytes/packets sent/recieved, error counts, etc. Or
if you want a storage analog, things like you would see in
/sys/block/hda/stat but adapted to make sense in Flash storage."

Is there anything like that for UBIFS/UBI/MTD/NAND that you're aware of?
Thanks.

BTW, we're happily up and running UBIFS on a 2GiB flash part with no
errors.  Mount times are pretty resonable.  I don't have current times
because I've been about three kernel versions ahead of everyone else so
the stuff they've all been using until recently didn't have some of the
speed improvments.  If I get the time (and remember to do it ;)  ) I'll
try to float some numbers out there.

Thanks for all the help over the last several months getting my stuff
going.  It's been great working with you.

Bruce