MTD/flash perfomance statistics

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Wed Nov 12 03:30:49 EST 2008

Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind at infradead.org> wrote on 11/11/2008 09:38:09 PM:

> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 10:08 -0800, Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
> > We're using UBIFS/UBI/MTD/NAND and we want to find out how much of our

> > time is spent accessing the flash.  Are there any tools or is there
any
> > code in that chain that collects any sort of statistics on flash
> > performace/utilization?  I could do something as crude as a counter in
my
> > NAND driver, but if there's anything more sophisticated that I can
just
> > "use out of the box" so to speak that would be better.  Thanks.
>
> Not sure what exactly you need, but probably you want oprofile?

Well, I'm not sure exactly what I need either :).  What the
application/diagnostic guys are looking for is a way to determine (to some
degree) how "hard" we're "beating" on the flash.  How much of the
processor's time are we spending just reading and writting to the flash as
well as how often.  I think what they're after is a means to try and
guestimate how long our flash will last given how frequently we're
writting/erasing it.  We'll take a look at oprofile.  Thanks.

Bruce