ubifs, ubiblk(formatted with vfat) and yaffs2 test.

KeunO Park lastnite at gmail.com
Fri May 30 11:08:06 EDT 2008

2008/5/30, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind at infradead.org>:
> On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 22:00 +0900, KeunO Park wrote:
> > > But I have to add that of course, YAFFS/JFFS2 are more light-weight
> > > file-system, because they do not maintain the FS index on the flash
> > > media. UBIFS does and this costs extra CPU cycles and extra I/O.
> > >

> > actually I did write & fsync the file during test. :-)
> > anyway thank you for your comment.
>
> Could you please send your test? And how you measure the load average?

ok. here is my simple test.

1. make a random dumped file in sdram area.
# cd /dev/shm/tmp
# dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.out bs=1M count=10
because ubifs uses compressor, I made a random data file for test.

2. make another shell script.
# cat test_write.sh
#!/bin/sh
/bin/cp /dev/shm/tmp/test.out /nand_partition
/bin/sync

3. check that there is no other application running.
write down the load avg using 'top'

4. just use 'time' utility to know how long it takes.
# time ./test_write.sh

5. write down the load avg again using 'top'.

using 'top' may be inadaquate choice. but, I think that
this would be helpful more or less.

and, I have another results for you. :-)
it would be interesting.

1. ubifs(LZO) mount stability test
1.1 when ubifs is writing(copy) something in NAND, I cut off the power.
     then check ubifs is all right.
     I tested 100 times. but, ok. there is no problem.
1.2 during mounting ubifs, I cut off the power.
     then check ubifs is all right.
    I tested 100 times. but, no problem. :-)

2. mount speed test
2.1.1 ubiblk partition(90MiB size): right after formatting vfat
real 0m 0.07s
user 0m 0.00s
sys 0m 0.02s
2.1.2 ubiblk partition(90MiB size): copy 6800 files(almost 80MiB),
then check mount speed.
real 0m 0.07s
user 0m 0.00s
sys 0m 0.01s
2.2.1 ubifs(LZO, 90MiB size) : right after formatting ubifs.
real 0m 0.13s
user 0m 0.00s
sys 0m 0.13s
2.2.2 ubifs(LZO, 90MiB size) : copy 6800 files(almost 80MiB), then
check mount speed.
real 0m 0.16s
user 0m 0.00s
sys 0m 0.16s

3.1 while I run 'cp test.out /nand_partition;sync' in ubifs partition
with 6800 files, suddenly I cut off the power. then check the speed in
next mount time.
real 0m 3.64s
user 0m 0.00s
sys 0m 1.32s
3.2 while I run 'cp test.out /nand_partition;sync' in clean ubifs
partition with a few files, suddenly I cut off the power. then check
the speed in next mount time.
real 0m 1.62s
user 0m 0.00s
sys 0m 0.45s