UBIFS on-media format changed to version 3

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Fri May 30 05:20:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 17:30 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> What's the impact of the bug? Does it only affect particularly large
> volumes or directories with a particularly large number of files or
> something else?

Right. It is basically harmless, it's just that the hash function will
collide more often which may result in poorer performance in case of
large directories.

> As I understand your comments, the new source will currently work with
> existing file systems but you want to drop that ability?

Right. But we may keep the support if you need this of course.

> We're just about to deploy devices with 2.6.24 + ubifs from GIT a month
> or two back, though we're probably not going to upgrade the kernel on
> existing devices in the future anyway.

Oh. We fixed many bugs since that time :-) Of course you may never hit
them, everything depends on the use-case. But I would update the kernel.

Anyway, if you want, we may keep backward compatibility so that new
kernel will work fine with older (version 2) images.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)