UBIFS on-media format changed to version 3

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Fri May 30 03:30:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:50:42AM +0300, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> we have found a bug in UBIFS and the fix changes the on-media format.
> Namely, the direntry hash function changed. We've always assumed it to
> be 29 bits wide, but because of incorrect bitmask it has been only 25
> bits wide.
>
> Please, update UBIFS and mkfs.ubifs to version 0.7. We have changed
> media format version from 2 to 3 as well. We support compatibility with
> older JFFS2 format (version 2) for now, but we would like to drop the
> support, unless someone really needs this and asks us not to do this. We
> are not in mainline so far, so we probably have luxury of changing
> on-flash format so far.
>
> I've CCed people who may be using UBIFS and should be aware of the
> change.

Hi Artem,

Thanks for the notification.

What's the impact of the bug? Does it only affect particularly large
volumes or directories with a particularly large number of files or
something else?

As I understand your comments, the new source will currently work with
existing file systems but you want to drop that ability?

We're just about to deploy devices with 2.6.24 + ubifs from GIT a month
or two back, though we're probably not going to upgrade the kernel on
existing devices in the future anyway.

Hamish