How to map nand chip ?

Carlos Munoz carlos at kenati.com
Thu Nov 15 14:25:58 EST 2007

Carlos Munoz wrote:
> I'm working on a custom board that has both nor and nand flash. I mapped
> the nor flash (cfi) using do_map_probe("cfi_probe", &map). However, I'm
> not sure what argument to pass to do_map_probe() to map the nand flash.
>
> Does anyone know how nand flash is mapped or point me to the right
> documents ?

OK. I figured it out... had to write a board nand driver.

When I load the nand driver module, the nand chip is detected correctly
but it seems all the erase blocks are bad. I wonder if it's caused by
the wrong timings when accessing the nand chip. However, the
manufacturer and chip id are read correctly. Does anyone know what may
be the cause for these errors ?

The output is as follows:

modprobe migo_r
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xec, Chip ID: 0xd3 (Samsung NAND 1GiB
3,3V 8-bit)
Scanning device for bad blocks
Bad eraseblock 1 at 0x00020000
Bad eraseblock 2 at 0x00040000