choice of flash file system for large read-only volume

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed May 16 10:22:38 EDT 2007

Hi,
I hope end-user questions are ok here. Don't want to distract from
choosing new file systems names etc ;)

On a system I'm developing I'll have a root file system on NAND
flash, which will be read-only in normal use. This file system might be
in the order of 128Mb or 256Mb. (We want to be able to write to it in
the lab during development, but in production we'll erase/rewrite the
whole volume).

What would be a good choice of file system for this application? Does it
come down to JFFS2 versus YAFFS, or are there other alternatives?

I understand that JFFS2 mount times are proportional to the size; mount
time isn't critical to me but I would like the system to boot as quickly
as possible. Is YAFFS better in this regard?

thanks,

Hamish