ECC on 2048 byte page size 8-bit NAND on Samsung S3C2440

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Mon May 14 20:30:40 EDT 2007

Hi!

On openmoko's future mobile communications devices, we're using 2048
byte page sized NAND chips (x8 organization such as K9F8G08U0A).

However, it seems to me that the ECC support for 2048byte page sized
NAND chips is not really implemented yet, neither by the NAND core, nor
by the S3C2440 NAND driver.

As far as I understand it (I haven't worked with 2k page before), the
2440 NAND controller can generate a 4-byte ECC for each 2048byte page (8
bytes in case of x16 organization, this seems somehow strange).

In addition to ECC on the actual main data area, it also supports ECC on
the OOB data, too.  I haven't found any piece of code in any other NAND
driver in the kernel that uses this feature.

Also, I don't see something like a standard ECC layout for the 2048byte
page deivces.  Is there one?

I can certainly spend my time hacking up some working code.  The
quesetion is if there is already some thought by one of the people
involved for some longer time with linux-mtd and/or the s3c2440.

So if you have implementation thoughts / wishes / guidelines: THis is
the time to raise them, before I just doo what I deem appropriate ;)

Cheers,