RO jffs2 implementation for bootloader

Matthieu CASTET matthieu.castet at parrot.com
Fri May 4 05:55:01 EDT 2007

Hi Artem,

Artem Bityutskiy a écrit :
> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 08:40 +0000, Matthieu CASTET wrote:
>> I need to mount a jffs2 partition in a bootloader. I tried u-boot that support
>> jffs2, but it is very slow (2 minutes for mounting a 64MB partition).
>> Do you know if there are other (fast) implemenation of jffs2 suitable for a
>> bootloader ?
>
> Not sure about any existing "fast" implementation, but mounting a JFFS2
> partition is about scanning whole partition. You may optimize some
> thing, but you have to scan anyway.

Well u-boot implementation is very slow. For 64MB partition : 2 minutes
for u-boot and 11 s for linux (3s with summary).

>> I want to avoid to use raw partition on NAND :
>> - because the bootloader need to access several files (kernel, boot data, rescue
>> images, some configuration).
>> - nand scrubbing (on read) is not possible to handle (jffs2 don't handle it
>> either if it is a read only partition)
>
> I would suggest to create a small JFFS2 partition with kernel so that it
> is mounted quickly by the bootloader. Then you could mount it to /boot
> of your "main" partition.

Even with small partition, u-boot implementation is very slow, that's
why I asks for other implementations.

While I am at it, is there some code of UBI (RO static partition) suited
for integration in bootloaders ?

Thanks,

Matthieu