RO jffs2 implementation for bootloader

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Thu May 3 05:56:03 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 08:40 +0000, Matthieu CASTET wrote:
> I need to mount a jffs2 partition in a bootloader. I tried u-boot that support
> jffs2, but it is very slow (2 minutes for mounting a 64MB partition).
> Do you know if there are other (fast) implemenation of jffs2 suitable for a
> bootloader ?

Not sure about any existing "fast" implementation, but mounting a JFFS2
partition is about scanning whole partition. You may optimize some
thing, but you have to scan anyway.

> I want to avoid to use raw partition on NAND :
> - because the bootloader need to access several files (kernel, boot data, rescue
> images, some configuration).
> - nand scrubbing (on read) is not possible to handle (jffs2 don't handle it
> either if it is a read only partition)

I would suggest to create a small JFFS2 partition with kernel so that it
is mounted quickly by the bootloader. Then you could mount it to /boot
of your "main" partition.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)